If your St. Louis home is built over a crawl space, it is important for you to get it sealed or "encapsulated" so that moisture, excessive humidity, and unwanted pests can't get inside to cause problems. The encapsulation process has been around for awhile now, and it has proven time and time again to be effective.
The installation will include a vapor barrier which will cover 100% of the ground. The seams and junctions of the vapor barrier will be sealed, as well as any pre-existing vents which may be installed here. Special insulating materials will be installed which are designed exclusively for this area of the home. Additionally, a dehumidifier can be installed for improved control of humidity levels, and a sump pump can be installed for extra protection against moisture intrusion.
- Improved indoor air quality
- Greater energy efficiency - conditioned crawl spaces can lead to a nearly 20% reduction in energy costs
- Less critter problems - mice, snakes, spiders, termites, roaches, and other pests won't be able to get inside
- HVAC equipment installed here will experience less wear and tear
- First floor of the home will be more stable, durable, and will not experience problems with sagging
- Home will be much more comfortable since humidity will be reduced and the conditioned air from inside your home won't be able to escape out through the CS
Greenmark Home Performance can inspect this area of your home and determine what work will need to be done during your consultation with our team. Click here to view a list of cities where we provide crawl space encapsulation.